Acanthus spinosus | Bear's Breeches
- Genus: Acanthus
- Species: spinosus
- Eventual Height: 150
- Eventual Spread: 90
- Position: full sun, partial sun, south, east, west
- Evergreen or Deciduous: Deciduous
- Soil Drainage well drained
- Soil PH: acid, alkaline, neutral
- Exposure: exposed, sheltered
- Hardiness: (H4) Hardy
- Awards: RHS Award of Garden Merit
A fabulous architectural plant with attractive dark green leaves. Acanthus spinosus is often used to form the ornamental detail on Corinthian columns, bringing a distinct hint of classical sophistication to the garden. The plants make big, mound-shaped rosettes of glossy leathery leaves, finely cut and each tipped with a ferocious spine. The flower spikes bear a resemblance to tall foxgloves from a distance, with hooded two-tone flowers.
Write an online review and share your thoughts with other shoppers!